Friday 21 September 2007

The White Stripes "You Don't Know What Love Is" Music Video


White Stripes
I’m not sure what I even want from the White Stripes anymore. Their just released single “Icky Thump,” for all of its urgency, was kind of a mess. Now, we get wind of this newly leaked track and though it’s certainly more focused, it still seems vaguely underwhelming. The kids can’t win.

At the onset Jack White mixes it up, simultaneously pursuing his usual Zeppelin crunch as well as the more laid back groove of that band’s “Hey Hey What Can I Do?” But Jack’s pedantic lecturing fails to approximate the humid sexuality of the best British rockers gone South. I’m struggling through the usual Dixie touch points to find an appropriate comparison, because I know this reminds me of something specific. I’m genuinely concerned that it might be a half-remembered Black Crowes song still lingering in my skull from a radio transmission I once heard in high school.



No comments yet